lunes, 9 de enero de 2012

Saint Luis Rey Double Corona 8-Jan-2012

Saint Luis Rey Double Corona
Origin:  Cuba
Format:  Double Corona
Size:  49 x 194

Initial impressions:  I purchased this well aged (2008) 50 cigar cabinet from my brother in law a month or so ago.  I opened the box and found some really good looking cigars – great color, construction, etc., but the bands lacked a bit to be desired.  I checked the codes and the box checks out.  The bands look to have picked up residue from the cigars during aging, and they look…..dirty, almost.  Laura has seen it before on older bands.  Oh well.  Just getting over a cold, first cigar in 3 days.

Opening:   Good draw at cold and upon lighting.  Aroma at cold was a milky chocolate and grass character, while opening was mild and creamy.

First third:  Draw staying at a touch firm which is good.  Milky chocolate notes and barnyard flavors are present, almost in a peppery spicy form.  Remaining mild.

Second third:   Chocolate notes gave way to an almost grassy earthly flavor.  Burn is dead even but ash is a bit weak.  Draw remains firm-ish.  I am not very well experienced with this marca, but I am surprised how mild this cigar is. 

Final third:  As I begin the final third, the cigar just starts to build up towards medium.  I read the Habanos guide and it says SLR’s should be full bodied – this is nowhere close.  Could it mellow that much in a few years aging?

Final thoughts:   A good and interesting smoke, but not strong enough for

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario