lunes, 9 de enero de 2012

Cohiba Robusto 28-Dec-2011 (also, is ignorance really bliss?)

Cohiba Robusto 28-Dec-2011 (plus, is ignorance really bliss???)
Origin:  Cuba
Format:  Robusto
Size:  50 x 124

Is ignorance really bliss?  Hardly a week goes by where a tourist doesn’t come into my shop with a small wooden box of “Cuban” cigars with a plastic slid lid top and ask me “are these real”.  My patent answer these days is “if you are coming to my shop to ask if they are real, don’t you already know they are fake”?  Today was different.  This guy walked in with a box of robusto sized “feauxhibas” with a 2011 Edicion Limitada band as well (NO THESE ARE NOT THE 2011 EL DOUBLE ROBUSTOS).  He pointed out the Cohiba Robustos on my shelves and said “these are what these are, this is what I just smoked.  How much”.  Well, our prices are clearly marked, but I responded with the price.  He responded “guess how much I paid for these”?  I obliged and asked “how much”?  He proclaimed “5 bucks”.  I nodded my head and said, “nice price” and that was it.  Today, I will let ignorance be blissful.  But after he left, I grabbed one of the CoRo’s off the shelve, punched it and lit that bad boy up.

Initial impressions:  Wrapper is a light caramel brown color, some veins but nicely constructed.  Aroma at cold is leathery, creamy, coffee.  Draw at cold is easy to firm.

Opening:  Good draw, just south of firm.  Large volume of smoke.  Definite creamy coffee character.

First third:  This is my first stick of the day, and I am blow through the first third too quickly, but this cigar is very engaging.  A woody taste has appeared which complements the creamy character.  Medium bodied or slightly less at this point.

Second third:  Strength is intensifying just a bit, just past medium.  Still that woody, creamy flavor.

Final third:  I imagine the final third would have been just as good if not better, but our favorite stray dog Bella came rambling by and knocked the cigar off the arm of my wooden smoking chair and it rolled out onto fifth avenue.  Oh well.

Final thoughts:  Although I didn’t finish this cigar, this was a good yet a bit young representation of this vitola and marca.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario